guix-devel

contributor uuid (was Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Ar

From: bae66428a8ad58eafaa98cb0ab2e512f045974ecf4bf947e32096fae574d99c6
Subject: contributor uuid (was Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive)
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 16:25:33 +0100

paul <goodoldpaul@autistici.org> writes:

[...]

> If we'd really need to identify contributors, and obviously Guix
> doesn't, we could use an UUID/machine readable identifier which can then
> be mapped to a displayed name. I believe git can already be configured
> to do so.

every contributor wishing to do so can already choose to use the
preferred uuid/email metadata they wish and ask some person with commit
access to add a uuid/display-name mapping via git .mailmap

unfortunately this does not resolve the problem with rewriting history
with git, because Guix artifacts also contains source code that usually
contains information about the author, including names that potentially
could become "deadnames" in the future

happy hacking!

--
bae66428a8ad58eafaa98cb0ab2e512f045974ecf4bf947e32096fae574d99c6