guix-devel

Re: the right to rewrite history to rectify the past (was Re: Concerns/q

From: Attila Lendvai
Subject: Re: the right to rewrite history to rectify the past (was Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 10:49:50 +0000

> We are talking about social rules that we have here in the Guix
> community not legal/state rules.

ethics, i.e. the discussion of rights, is a branch of philosophy.

ideally, it should inform the people who are writing and enforcing state laws,
but these days -- sadly -- it has precious little to do with state laws. and i
think you're the one here who conflates the two.

> Specifically the social rules that we support trans people and we want
> to include them. Any person really that want to change their name at
> some point for some reason.
>
> To that end we listen to their concerns/wishes and we accommodate them.

i've asked you this before, and i'll keep asking it: sure, accommodate, but to
what extent? what is a reasonable cost i can incur on others? (see the
discussion of negative vs. positive rights in this context)

what if i declare that i only feel accommodated here if everyone attaches the
local weather forcast to each mail they send to guix-devel?

the limit of your demands begins where it starts to constrain the freedom of
others. considering this is an essential part of respectful behavior towards
others.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39