guix-devel

Re: the right to rewrite history to rectify the past (was Re: Concerns/q

From: Ekaitz Zarraga
Subject: Re: the right to rewrite history to rectify the past (was Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 16:54:34 +0100

Hi,

What are you implying with the "loud" minority here?

MSavoritias

He's probably talking about the same thing that made you continue being heated after the fact you were told to calm down and you are not wasting any single opportunity to continue answering every single email in this thread and all the subthreads that continue to appear.

I don't want to look insensitive but I think we are revolving around the same issue over and over again and honestly it's bothering me.

Not the discussion itself, which has a profound meaning and it's a deep issue, but the way it is taking place and where it is taking place.

It's also extremely sad to me to see many unanswered questions in the help-guix mailing list, which might or might not include questions from trans people that are willing to use the fantastic software we all collectively maintain and which would help them have a better life, and yet we are talking about the detail of the detail here for no real reason: this conversation does not have any practical purpose.

Also there are hundreds of issues open in guix, which don't happen to deserve the attention this discussion has.

I don't think this conversation is going to reach anywhere, and I would like to encourage people to spend their energy somewhere else until we really start having a different mindset on the issue. As we were suggested to do.

I don't think this is a topic for `guix-devel` mailing list. If it is, please let me know and change my expectations accordingly.

My suggestion is: if this is an actual problem with guix's software, we should open an issue for this, for those who are interested on actually trying to improve the situation. If it's not a problem with guix, then this conversation is just an exercise of ethical and intellectual bragging that is just uninteresting to me and more appropriate for social media.

Best,
Ekaitz