guix-devel

Re: the right to rewrite history to rectify the past (was Re: Concerns/q

From: pinoaffe
Subject: Re: the right to rewrite history to rectify the past (was Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive)
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2024 17:23:43 +0100

Hartmut Goebel <h.goebel@crazy-compilers.com> writes:

> Am 21.03.24 um 07:12 schrieb MSavoritias:
>> Specifically the social rules that we support trans people and we
>> want to include them. Any person really that want to change their
>> name at some point for some reason.
>
> Interestingly you are asking the right to get the old name rewritten
> for trans people only.

This discussion arose because of the experiences of someone who's trans,
and is relevant to many trans folks, so of course this will remain a
major focus of the discussion.

> To be frank: IMHO This is a quiet egocentric point of view.
You're wrong and it ain't

> In many cultures all over the world women are required to change their
> name when they merry. And you are not asking for women's right. But
> only for right for the small but loud minority of trans people.
I am not aware of any women who want/have wanted to retroactively change
historic occurences of their maiden name, so your mail reeks of concern
trolling to me.

There are (of course) instances where people may want to replace
historic use of a name with another name for reasons other than
transitioning, but that should make you rejoice in the fact that
protecting trans people's rights also protects cis people's rights.
This should not at all be surprising, as trans rights are human rights.

Kind regards,
pinoaffe