guix-devel

Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive

From: pinoaffe
Subject: Re: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 15:04:35 +0100

Lars-Dominik Braun <lars@6xq.net> writes:
>> I have heard folks in the Guix maintenance sphere claim that we
>> never rewrite git history in Guix, as a matter of policy. I believe we
>> should revisit that policy (is it actually written anywhere?) with an
>> eye towards possible exceptions, and develop a mechanism for securely
>> maintaining continuity of Guix installations after history has been
>> rewritten so that we maintain this as a technical possibility in the
>> future, even if we should choose to use it sparingly.
>
> the fallout of rewriting Guix’ git history would be devastating. It
> would break every single Guix installation, because
>
> a) `guix pull` authenticates commits and we might lose our trust anchor
> if we rewrite history earlier than the introduction of this feature,
> b) `guix pull` outright rejects changes to the commit history to prevent
> downgrade attacks.
>
> Additionally it would break every single existing usage of the
> time machine and thereby completely defeat the goal of providing
> reproducible software environments since the commit hash is used to
> identify the point in time to jump to.
>
> I doubt developing “mechanisms” – whatever they look like – would
> be worth the effort. Our contributors matter, but so do our users. Never
> ever rewriting our git history is a tradeoff we should make for our users.

There may come a time where we don't really have another option but to
rewrite (part of) history (e.g., if someone vandalizes the repository
using incriminating/illegal files) - I hope that such vandalism would be
caught quickly so that most guix installations would not be infected,
but it may be a good idea to plan what to do in the unfortunte event that
it is necessary to rewrite guix history