guix-devel

Re: rewriting history; Was: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage

From: MSavoritias
Subject: Re: rewriting history; Was: Concerns/questions around Software Heritage Archive
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2024 16:33:49 +0200

On 3/18/24 16:19, Andreas Enge wrote:

Am Mon, Mar 18, 2024 at 04:03:20PM +0200 schrieb MSavoritias:
Rewriting history is the wrong question imo. I dont think a request to
change all of the history of Guix will be accepted anyway.
A much easier thing to do is to change the approach in the future. And let
all the past history untouched.
I was well thinking about the future history as well as the past one...
Everything we do now becomes unmutable history in the future; so the
question how we can rewrite an a priori unmutable history remains the same,
regardless of the date when person X wants to be known as person Y: Also in
the future, someone may wish to travel to a time before the change.
And the fundamental problem of history rewriting remains; I do not see
how we could simplify it. So I do not think that it is "a much easier
thing to do". Please feel free to prove me wrong by making a concrete
suggestion!

Actually gitlab already is facing something like that and they are doing what was proposed elsewhere: mapping of UUIDs to display names

https://gitlab.com/gitlab-org/gitlab/-/issues/20960

So no reason we couldn't do something like this.