guix-europe

Re: Hosting website? Example using Framagit CI

From: Andreas Enge
Subject: Re: Hosting website? Example using Framagit CI
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2023 19:07:47 +0200

Hello Simon,

Am Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 04:00:23PM +0200 schrieb Simon Tournier:
> How does it work?
>   1. A Docker image generated with Guix had been pushed to DockerHub.
>   2. GitlabCI runs .gitlab-ci.yml and servers the result.
>   3. After each push, the website is automatically rebuilt and served.

I did exactly this for a number of websites I am hosting, following your
example from the 10 years event, with a little help from our system
administrators (our gitlab docker instance somehow did not handle the
Guix docker image, while gitlab.com did, so we switched to Debian...).
So I agree this is a good approach :)

> From my point of view, this service is the easiest.  If one of you want
> to host the website generation, feel free to raise your hand. :-) Well,
> it could be nice to have an automatic way for updating the website on
> Git push.

I am confused about this paragraph; the gitlab CI does it for us now,
right?

To make the result more "movable" from one place to another, I added
a variable %webroot passed to many functions of builder/static-site.scm
(this is what you call %online-location). I can upload the latest version
to framagit (during the weekend, say, because I would need to test it
with our website).

Actually if we add the good entry to our DNS and a letsencrypt hook,
we can serve https://foundation.guix.info from framagit and set %webroot
to "" again...

Thanks for getting this rolling!

Andreas