guix-science

Re: [event] Next steps for 2021-2022?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: [event] Next steps for 2021-2022?
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 10:07:56 +0200

Hello,

"Simon Tournier" <simon.tournier@univ-paris-diderot.fr> skribis:

> I propose a virtual meeting to discuss and list what we – as a
> community – would like to tackle this year.  For instance, my whishlist
> is:
>
>  - better coverage with long-term archive using Software Heritage

… and with Disarchive.

>  - online events as training / season school / workshop

+1

Some items from my to-do list:

  - Good micro-architecture story with function multi-versioning along
    the lines of
    <https://gitlab.inria.fr/guix-hpc/function-multi-versioning> (help
    welcome especially on finding good applications to benchmark!).

  - Relocatable pack execution on clusters that lack user namespaces,
    thus with GUIX EXECUTION_ENGINE=fakechroot (I noticed glitches in
    the past due to glibc NSS and things like that.)

  - “Converting” papers to use a Guix workflow similar to what I did in
    <https://zenodo.org/record/3886739>, with the goal of extracting
    common helpers to make it more approachable.

> Let schedule a date between September, 27th and 30th.  Personally, I
> would prefer the morning (8-13:00 CET).  Drop an email (public or
> private) and let try to accommodate for all.

Works for me.

Thanks for starting this initiative!

Ludo’.