help-3dldf

[help-3dldf] Re: [Fwd: HELP TO INSTALL 1.2.0.0 RELESASE.]

From: Laurence Finston
Subject: [help-3dldf] Re: [Fwd: HELP TO INSTALL 1.2.0.0 RELESASE.]
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 11:29:11 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, MX wrote:

> Thank you for your quick and helpful answer, Laurence.

You're welcome.

I've written a long answer below, but it just occurred to me that the
problem may be your compiler.  What version of `g++' are you using?  If
the main version number is less than 3, it won't work.  I've got 3.3.3.
If you're using, say, 2.95, I strongly recommend that you upgrade, since
it's quite out-of-date.

> I downloaded  3DLDFsnp.tar.gz a few minutes ago. I tried the three
> instructions you said : make  loader.o etc.
>
> Unfortunately I got the following error messages  :
>
> 21:04 gerard ~/3DLDF-1.2.0.0 > make loader.o
> Makefile:580: attention : ?crasement des commandes pour la cible ?
> info-recursive ?
> Makefile:239: attention : anciennes commandes ignor?es pour la cible ?
> info-recursive ?

These aren't errors, it's supposed to be this way.  The reason is that
I've overwritten the rule for `info-recursive' in `Makefile.am'.  Automake
does a few things automatically that don't work for my purposes.

> make: Rien ? faire pour ? CWEB/loader.o ?. [i.e. nothing to do for ...]
> 21:04 gerard ~/3DLDF-1.2.0.0 > make pspglb.o

Apparently, you didn't delete your old `pspglb.o'.  I don't know how much
you know about programming, so I'll explain.  I'm also posting this to the
mailing list, so it may benefit someone else.

`pspglb.o' is the file of object code generated from the file
of C++ code `pspglb.cxx', which in turn is generated from `pspglb.web',
along with the header file `pspglb.h'.  When all the object files have
been generated, the linker tries to combine them into the executable,
`3dldf'.  Apparently, you had an old `pspglb.o' from your last attempt
lying around, so `make' didn't "think" it needed to generate a new one.

> make: *** Pas de r?gle pour fabriquer la cible ? pspglb.o ?. Arr?t.
> [i.e. no rule to make target ....]

This may be because you were in the `/3DLDF-1.2.0.0/'
directory, rather than `/3DLDF-1.2.0.0/CWEB'.  Sorry, forgot to mention
that.

> Running "make 3DLDFput.mp" in CWEB
> make 3DLDFput.mp -C CWEB
> if g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.    -frepo -pthread  -g -MT pspglb.o
> -MD -MP -MF ".deps/pspglb.Tpo" -c -o pspglb.o pspglb.cxx; \
> then mv -f ".deps/pspglb.Tpo" ".deps/pspglb.Po"; else rm -f
> ".deps/pspglb.Tpo";exit 1; fi
> pspglb.web: In static member function `static Pointer_Vector<C, C>*
> Pointer_Vector<C, D>::assign_same_pointers(Pointer_Vector<D, D>*,
> Pointer_Vector<C, C>*, Scanner_Type*)':
> pspglb.web:569: error: invalid use of undefined type `struct Scanner_Type'
> pspglb.web:4036: error: forward declaration of `struct Scanner_Type'

Okay, this is the same thing as before.  My suggestion is to delete your
sources, download a fresh version, and try building in the normal way.  I
think you may have to be in `/3DLDF-1.2.0.0/CWEB' to call `make ldf', I
don't remember.  I almost always work in `/3DLDF-1.2.0.0/CWEB', except
when I need to use `Automake' or `Autoconf' or call `configure'.

If it doesn't work, I'll change the function declarations.  If the
arguments are pointers, and `Scanner_Node' is a pointer type, the forward
definition should be enough to make it work.  If it doesn't, I'll change
them to `void*', and if necessary, move the definitions to another file.
However, I really don't think this is the reason.

> Is 3DLDFsnp.tar.gz the latest source files of 3DLDF. If not, how to get
> the latest files ?

Yes, it's always the latest version of the source files.  I uploaded a
couple of new ones yesterday.  Probably the easiest way to keep up to date
is to set up a CVS repository on your system and use the CVS commands to
update it from my sources on the Savannah site.  There are instructions
for doing this there.  You could also just download `3DLDFsnp.tar.gz' and
use `ediff' to merge the changes into your copy of the sources.

Thanks for the bug reports, that is, if they really are bugs.

Laurence