Re: Handling getopt for option without optional argument value

From: Chet Ramey
Subject: Re: Handling getopt for option without optional argument value
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2021 15:19:13 -0400

On 7/23/21 5:26 PM, lisa-asket@perso.be wrote:

--- To satisfy Chet's needs, to be clear.  I simply suggested advantage of having built in long option capability for your users.  Only to get a barrage of insults, and do it for us.

You're right, all you did was suggest adding long option support to the
`getopt' command. I am interested in what such support would look like when
added to the `getopts' builtin, and solicited your input. You've declined
to offer any to this point.

Then saying you need 5000+ hours to pass options.
More than the three years time to get a phd studying black holes.

Ridiculous hyperbole.

--- Many problems here are partly to do with the unforgiving nature of
criticizing
and run-in with some gnu developers.  In short, it appears that people do not
pay
much attention, and basically in the end ask me to submit changes to them.
It's quite frustrating trying to contribute.

Based on your responses to my questions, you haven't really participated in
any design for this proposed feature. (To be fair, no one really has.)

--- Who are the main developers of FSF software these days? Mostly, they are
either
paid as FSF employee, or students still trying to break out their craft in
programing,
or semi-retired programmers who otherwise don't do anything. Those willing and
able,
start their own projects or get decent salary in commercial corps.

Wow, that's insulting. This isn't really an approach that will inspire
sympathy.

I do not have a problem myself, simply made a suggestion that others would
find using long options as a built-in feature of bash quite handy and the code
simpler.

There are probably users who would find long option support in getopts
useful. Your assertion that it would make code simpler is unsupported.

Chet Ramey, UTech, CWRU    chet@case.edu    http://tiswww.cwru.edu/~chet/