Re: METHOD DR

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: METHOD DR
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 13:50:48 +0200

At 13:10 +0200 2001/06/15, Akim Demaille wrote:
>I know nothing about DR, never heard about it before.  Is it `upward
>compatible' with LALR(1)?  What are the differences?  Performances?
>Error recovery?  More grammars are supported?  What _useful_ grammar
>is DR and not LALR(1)?

Good questions.

I got the impression that DR handled all LR(1) grammars and therefore all
LR(n) grammars if rewritten to LR(1). An Internet search suggested that DR
might be used in parsing human languages, where LALR doesn't suffice much
-- I have otherwise no idea of that. CJ said DR appears to produce smaller
that LALR.

BTW, what do you mean by "upwards compatible with LALR"?