Re: METHOD DR

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: METHOD DR
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 11:58:53 +0200

At 15:56 -0600 2001/06/15, Richard Stallman wrote:
>Bison could be useful with Scheme.  I don't think we have anything
>like it for use with Guile.

It should not be so difficult to make Bison generating parsers for
languages where there is a (simple, explicit) way to jump around in cases
in a loop.

I am playing around in my mind with Haskell. :-) -- There they already have
a parser generator called Happy.

But parsing styles may affect performance radically: As there seemed to be
no good Prolog small example code for C/C++, I translated the Mini-Prolog
that comes with Hugs http://haskell.org/hugs/ into C++; it was still about
as slow as when running it in Hugs.

But then I replaced the parser with a Flex/Bison combination, and suddenly,
it became lightning fast.

The original Mini-Prolog parser is a handwritten, non-deterministic parser,
which made it slow. The difference between various deterministic parser
generators will become much less. But it could still be good to be able to
compare, if the input effort is relatively small.