Re: Shift reduce errors due to embedded actions

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: Shift reduce errors due to embedded actions
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 20:19:19 +0200

At 20:49 +0200 2001/10/16, Axel Kittenberger wrote:
>Maybe I'm missing something, but do mid-level-rules have any sense but a
>little comfort for the programmer?
>What keeps you from simply writing the action at the end?

Mid-rule actions are just what is called "syntactic sugar" in programming
languages: It saves the programmer from having to introduce an extra
variable.

One can use it to say switch syntactic lexer context, but then one has to
check when it is executed. I have used it to identify name overloaded
prefix and postfix operators, which requires that one records the last
token read.