Re: C++ / multiple instances / iostreams

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: C++ / multiple instances / iostreams
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 18:58:38 +0200

At 00:22 +0200 2004/07/22, Detlef Vollmann wrote:
>> I believe that the design criterion that BS expressed was that C++ should
>> admit efficient implementations, but by no means as optimized as in C. Sed
>> the book DEC++ ("Design and Evolution of C++").
>No, Bjarne probably never said or wrote such.  He was one of the main
>proposers of the C++ Performance Report
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/open/n3646.pdf
>(I worked together with him on some parts of that report.)
>There are actually cases where C++ is more efficient as C.

Just because C++ high level features need not be as efficient as in C, it
does not exclude the possibility of C++ to sometimes be more efficient than
C. An example of a high level C++ feature where one accepts overhead in
favour of better programming/safer code is the use of exceptions. There C++
expresses that one should optimize over the non-exceptional case, even
though making use of thrown exceptions is a useful programming feature. But
all exception implementations, I am told, induce some overhead; also the so
called no-overhead exception handling.

I sense though we are getting a little off topic here; comp.std.c++ is a
better place for this kind of discussions.

>SCNR.

What does this mean?