Re: C++ / multiple instances / iostreams

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: C++ / multiple instances / iostreams
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 20:16:10 +0200

At 16:49 +0200 2004/07/24, Detlef Vollmann wrote:
>> It is when the stack runs out of space. The current Bison parser C stack is
>> dynamic, and actually works that way.
>Ah, I see.  I use std::deque, which doesn't do re-allocation on
>expanding but links new chunks to existing ones when growing.

Some implementations may do so, but mine does not. (Typically, a deque just
uses an array chunk where the location arithmetic wraps around the edges.)
And, if you so want, you could do it on std::vector as well. The C++
standard just gives time limiting complexities, but does not explicitly say
what implementation to use.

>It doesn't do automatic shrinking but I think that isn't a wise
>thing to do anyway.

Whether it shrinks depends on the implementation. Whether is is wise
depends on the application.