Re: C++ / multiple instances / iostreams

From: Detlef Vollmann
Subject: Re: C++ / multiple instances / iostreams
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:51:53 +0200

Hans Aberg wrote:
> But
> all exception implementations, I am told, induce some overhead; also the so
> called no-overhead exception handling.
Exceptions are a bit problematic as examples: it is not clear
to what you should compare the "overhead".
If you don't care about errors, yes, then exceptions have an
overhead.
But if you compare the C-style return value checking to C++ exceptions,
it turns out that the C-style has higher "overhead" than
C++ exceptions on some implementations.
For other alternatives to C++ exceptions see e.g.
  http://www.vollmann.ch/de/pubs/cpp-excpt-alt.html

I don't really know to what you refer with "no-overhead exception
handling".  The table approach has no overhead in term of run-time
(as long as no exception is thrown), but in program text size
(they use a table that is typically left on disk as long as it
is not used).

So, any approach to handle exceptional cases has its "overhead",
be it C-style return value checking, C++ exceptions or something
else.  And each of them has advantages and disadvantages.

> I sense though we are getting a little off topic here;
Ok, I'll stop as soon as anyone complains.

> >SCNR.
"Sorry, could not resist."
I know pretty few acronyms myself and therefore wrongly assume
that everybody knows at least those that I know.  Sorry.

Detlef

--
Detlef Vollmann   vollmann engineering gmbh
Linux and C++ for Embedded Systems    http://www.vollmann.ch/