Re: [help-bison]How to stock information?

From: alfonso
Subject: Re: [help-bison]How to stock information?
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:06:14 -0800

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:34:25 +0200, Hans Aberg wrote
> You have to build a grammar. This is difficult at firts. The Bison
> manual has a calculator example. The book by Aho, Sethi, Ullman,
> "Compilers" (the "dragon book") has an example of using Lex and
> Yacc.  Look in grammar-like BNF notation of already existing
> computer  languages, as that of the C/C++ standards. The newsgroup
>  comp.compilers has a FAQ, published there monthly, which you can
> look  into.

This reminds me of a gripe I had when learning to use Bison (not that I'm an
exper or anything, but I know enough to use it) - the calculator example in
the docs is so trivial that it is completely worthless, and the existing
language grammars such as C and C++ (good lord) are way too complex for the
purposes of learning Bison.

I'd really like to see a language with about 10 or 15 keywords written as an
example.  Granted, I know the answer - if I want to see it, I should write it
myself, but who has time for documentation ;)

--
alfonso e. urdaneta
www.red82.com - are you ready ?