Re: Newbie requestion on operator precedence and how to resolve an s/r

From: lfinsto1
Subject: Re: Newbie requestion on operator precedence and how to resolve an s/r conflict correctly.
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 14:29:24 +0100 (CET)

> YYTYPE is a massive union. funccall is declared %type <funccall> [...]

If you've got lots of types in your union, you might want to consider
using `void*' for some of them instead and casting to the correct type
where needed in the rules.  If you're just setting the `$$' from another
symbol and both have the type `void*', you won't need the cast.

> Thanks for the suggestion! I think I really ought to read some of his
books.
> I read his FAQ online at some point which mentioned the NULL/0 issue,
but
> I'm not so fazed by it, myself. I prefer (visually) NULL, and it seems
> be
> more `semantically' accurate. If I was wearing a tinfoil hat, then I
might
> define it as 0 myself. I also agree with avoiding preprocessor macros,
and
> gotos -- but I still use both, when appropriate.

I highly recommend Stroustrup's books.

`goto' can be extremely useful.  I avoid them where the effect can easily be
achieved in another way, but this isn't always the case.   Donald Knuth
wrote an article defending the `goto' which was published in one of the
collections of his articles.  It was called "In Defense of goto", or
something like that.  They do also reflect the way machines actually work,
which one may or may not consider important.  I think it is, but not
everyone may agree with me.

Laurence