Re: [h-e-w] gnuclientw.exe

From: Jeff Rancier
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuclientw.exe
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 09:58:38 -0500

Thanks for all your comments.

If you set [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View
Source Editor\Editor Name] to gnuclientw.exe (with the full path), and try
to view the source of a web page, e.g., http://www.ibiblio.org/javafaq/, IE
places the file in something like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\jrancier\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\GD2VWD2V\javafaq[1]

What happens is you get a bunch of new files open, which have names like:

c:/Documents
c:/Documents and
Settings/jrancier/Desktop/Files/Content.IE5/gd2vwd2v/javafaq[1]
c:/Documents and Settings/jrancier/Desktop/Internet
c:/Documents and Settings/jrancier/Desktop/Settings/Temporary
c:/Documents and Settings/jrancier/Desktop/Settings/jrancier/Local
c:/Documents and Settings/jrancier/Desktop/and

(notice how they were placed on the desktop, and of course they were all
zero in length).

OK, time to message around with MS-DOS.  Change gnuclientw.exe to gnuc.bat
or something, which contains code like this:

@echo off
set parms=%1
if %1junk == junk goto DONE
shift

:DO_IT_AGAIN
if %1junk == junk goto DONE
set parms=%parms% %1
shift
goto DO_IT_AGAIN

:DONE
h:\usr\pkg\emacs-20.7\bin\gnuclientw.exe "%parms%"

This concatenates all the paths into one.

So I do this, and then I get something like this:

h:\usr\pkg\emacs-20.7\bin\gnuclientw.exe "C:\Documents and
Settings\jrancier\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5\ZXO47AFO\javafaq[1]"

Got it, but in text mode.

Now to try Jason's suggestion, I get something like:

h:\bin\gnudoit.exe -q "(find-file \"C:\Documents and Settings\jrancier\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ZXO47AFO\javafaq[1]\")"
"(html-helper-mode)"

Which results in:

    error in process filter: Invalid escape character syntax.

I'm sure it's simply a matter of syntax.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff