voice recognition instead of keyboard [was Re: [h-e-w] "Ctrl" key wears

From: Michael R. Wolf
Subject: voice recognition instead of keyboard [was Re: [h-e-w] "Ctrl" key wears out...]
Date: 20 Mar 2002 20:53:41 -0500

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Another idea is to use different keys.  I've started to use F-key
> combinations.  For example, combos with F2 are for window management:
>
> <f2> <f2>       other-window
> <f2> <f3>       delete-other-windows
> <f2> <f4>       delete-window
>
> F4 is for buffer management:
>
> <f4> <f2>       switch-to-buffer
> <f4> <f3>       switch-to-other-buffer (home-grown function I think)
> <f4> <f4>       ibuffer
> <f4> <f5>       other-frame
>
> And so on and so forth.  I find that these combos are quite fast to
> hit.  Especially if you move them around so that often-used
> combinations are easy.  For example, <f5> <f5> is save-buffer and
> <f8> <f9> is compile, so <f5> <f5> <f8> <f9> has become a natural
> sequence for me; I use both hands for it.

Sounds like you're one hop away from voice activated,
building up increasingly more complex phrases.

Got me to thinking.  Does anyone use voice recognition
software with emacs?  If so, how?  Text entry?  Movement?
Editing?  Buffer management?  Process management?

It's been on my mind for a while.  I'm sure it would take
some training and getting used to.  For me, and for my
partner, since she'd have to listen to me speaking elisp.
That would be worse than Klingon.  IMHO, of course.  Perhaps
they'd share some similarities.

--
Michael R. Wolf
    All mammals learn by playing!