[h-e-w] gnuserv and loopback IP address

From: John J. Lee
Subject: [h-e-w] gnuserv and loopback IP address
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 22:53:34 +0100 (BST)

Some time ago, I asked here about a problem with getting gnuserv working,
and someone pointed out that I needed the MS loopback adapter installed.
I did that, but gnuserv still isn't working -- for example, when using
VisEmacs to send a file from MSVS to emacs, I just get new emacs processes
popping up rather than frames or windows.  I would like to state what
gnuserv on its own does, but the gnuserv documentation was completely
unclear to me the last time I read it.

1. Can anyone give me a simple gnuserv command that *should* work, so I
can see what the real problem is?  (something to send a text file to an
existing emacs process)

2. What should the loopback IP address be?  Windows refuses to accept
127.0.0.1, but if I put in some other address, how does gnuserv know what
IP address to use?

Thanks for any help

John