Re[4]: [h-e-w] Accents in environment variables - HOME

From: sherkin.freesbee
Subject: Re[4]: [h-e-w] Accents in environment variables - HOME
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 20:00:55 +0200

Hello Jason,

Saturday, April 10, 2004, 7:10:01 PM, you wrote:

JR> Good spotting! Could cp850 be equally likely? I think a French locale
JR> is more likely to be cp850 than cp437.
That's true.
But it isn't preloaded either and I have to call codepage-setup again.

JR> That should work, but check your config.sys and autoexec.bat to see
JR> if something has set your default CodePage to 437 or 850. The default
JR> I would expect is 1252 (the Windows Western European codepage).
In Windows XP, there's no more use of config.sys and autoexec.bat .
Environment is now set in System Properties dialog.
windows-1252 is the default encoding in windows applications, but in
console mode, cp850 is still used, AFAIK. That leads to many inconsistencies
in such - what adjective should I use ? - fancy paths that are used by
default. Some conversion should occur somewhere because this path
displays ok both in a dos box and in the file explorer.
c:\temp>md c:\temp\tátétítótú
is displayed ok too.
c:\temp>dir >t.txt
c:\temp>type t.txt
10/04/2004  19:52                 0 t.txt
10/04/2004  19:46    <REP>          tátétítótú
BUT, that file is saved in OEM character set (cp850).

JR> Do other European users need to set locale-coding-system to cp850 or
JR> cp437 to get what they expect? If so the default needs changing.
there i wish to quote myself:

--
Michelle