[h-e-w] still having problems with .emacs in Win 7

From: Michael Mossey
Subject: [h-e-w] still having problems with .emacs in Win 7
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2009 20:03:06 -0800

Under Win 7, I was having trouble recently trying to create or edit a file named .emacs in c:\. Following advice here, I typed ctrl-x ctrl-f ~/.emacs. It tried to write it to c:\! Then I upgraded from version 21 of emacs to version 23. Same behavior. I don't know.. I seem to have screwed up the configuration. It's completely ignoring the AppData location.

In the System dialog I can't find a mention of either the APPDATA or HOME environment variable.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike