Re: modular database backends

From: Peter Novodvorsky
Subject: Re: modular database backends
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:34:17 +0400

Milan Zamazal wrote:

    PN> May be you could make a CVS branch for 4.99?

Not yet.  That would require a lot of duplicate commits in the bug
fixing and cleanup phase.

    PN> Heh, that's bad because I wanted to begin making implementation
    PN> very actively. Do you have thoughts on the subject?  I'm writing
    PN> ``specification'' of some kind. Maybe it will give the subject
    PN> for discussion.

Well, the first ideas are:

- A function for deleting a PR should be added.  This is only seldom
  used, but it's sometimes useful and can also be used e.g. by
  maintenance tools.

Yeah, this is reasonable.

- Maybe it's not *necessary* to force backends to implement full query
  handling.  We probably can agree on that writing new backends should
  be as simple as possible.  I can imagine that your `query_pr' function
  could be only optional and there could be available simpler versions
  of query functions that can get a list of all problem IDs, a
  particular PR and maybe also optionally some index (similar to the
  current one).

We can implement simplier functions in library that will open this module. And these functions will use query_pr as more low level function. Any objections?

Nidd.