Re: gnats file placement

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: gnats file placement
Date: 11 Jun 2001 18:41:52 +0200

    PN> default gnats package has some problems with FHS. I think, that
    PN> this problems should be resolved before GNATS 4 release. It is
    PN> obvious that all databases should go to
    PN> /var/lib/gnats. databases, dbconfig, global host_access should
    PN> go to /etc/gnats.

Yes.

    PN> But, how should we deal with pr-edit, diff-prs etc. I think that
    PN> /usr/lib/gnats isn't the best place for them.  Maybe we could
    PN> move them to /usr/sbin?

I think /usr/sbin is not a good location, since those files are only
internal utilities not intended to be used directly.

I think their current location is in compliance with FHS:

       4.4  /usr/lib : Libraries for programming and packages

       /usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries that
       are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts.

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
http://www.zamazal.org