gnats not working (in Emacs)

From: Luca Manini
Subject: gnats not working (in Emacs)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:18:59 +0200

Hi,

while trying (first day) to use gnats, I'd no luck with send-pr (from
within Emacs) and I was thinking of configuration problems of some
sort.

But then I've found that send-pr (from the command line) DO WORK (it
connects to emacs-server, I edit the PR and close the connection with
C-x #) and the PR get submitted. I can even see them with qeury-pr and
I've got some mail by gnats also.

So I can play some basic game with gnats, but of course I want it from
Emacs! If I try M-x send-pr I get the following error:

        Process gnats-edit-server not running

and the current buffer is closed (!).

Could it be a 'version' problem ?

        gnatsd: gnatsd 4.0-beta1
        emacs: 20.7.2
        gnats.el: no version given but starts with:

        ;;; gnats.el --- Emacs interface for GNATS.
        ;; Copyright (C) 2000, 2001, 2002 Milan Zamazal
        ;; Copyright (C) 2000 Bob Manson

    Any hint?
    TIA, Luca

PS Reading gnats.info is like reading cvs.info. Not an easy starting
   point. Is there something like the 'cvs book' (that is less tech
   and more practical)?