Re: gnats not working (in Emacs)

From: Milan Zamazal
Subject: Re: gnats not working (in Emacs)
Date: 26 Apr 2002 20:30:22 +0200

    LM> But then I've found that send-pr (from the command line) DO WORK
    LM> (it connects to emacs-server, I edit the PR and close the
    LM> connection with C-x #) and the PR get submitted. I can even see
    LM> them with qeury-pr and I've got some mail by gnats also.

    LM> So I can play some basic game with gnats, but of course I want
    LM> it from Emacs! If I try M-x send-pr I get the following error:

    LM>         Process gnats-edit-server not running

    LM> and the current buffer is closed (!).

Is the network interface running via inetd?  Try

  telnet localhost support

and see if it works (the most useful command of the daemon is HELP).  If
it does, then I suggest you to apply `M-x gnats-change-database' in
Emacs.

    LM> Could it be a 'version' problem ?

Maybe, I develop the interface with Emacs 21, though I don't know about
any particular reason why it shouldn't work with Emacs 20.

    LM> PS Reading gnats.info is like reading cvs.info. Not an easy
    LM> starting point. Is there something like the 'cvs book' (that is
    LM> less tech and more practical)?

You can try the GNATS FAQ maintained by Hans-Albert Schneider, you
should find it at http://www.gnu.org/software/gnats/ and/or GNATS CVS
(see http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/gnats/), it will also be available
in the Debian package once I manage to package a new version.

If you think the starting point should be easier, the contributions to
both the GNATS manual and the FAQ are always welcome!

Regards,

Milan Zamazal

--
As is typical in civilized (i.e., non-corporate) email discussions, my
remarks *follow* (not precede) their context.