Re: A bit of help for a new GNATS pupil.

From: Mel Hatzis
Subject: Re: A bit of help for a new GNATS pupil.
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:16:52 -0800

On 11/14/2002 04:25 PM, Connell, Gerard submitted:

I recently have been placed in a position where I need to maintain a
gnats+gnatsweb installation.  Recently, an individual made a change to the
server where gnats was running, and now I observe the following result:

-Currently existing PRs can be viewed, edited via gnatsweb. Changes are
reflected in the DB.
-PRs can be added via gnatsweb, with no error given by the script, however
the PRs that are added are never making it to the database.

I confirm the last line by both looking in the category directories, and
using gnatsweb to do queries.

Under normal installation conditions, what type of configuration error would
lead to such a situation?

Jerry Connell

Jerry, I have a patch (below) that I applied to our version of gnatsweb
- which likely is a few revisions behind the latest - which fixes
a bug where PR creates fail but appear to succeed.

The reason for this is that rather than get back the result of
the create, gnatsweb was getting back the result of the pr lock
which gnatsd does during the create. So, if the pr lock succeeds
but the create fails, gnatsweb thinks the pr create succeeded.

If you have this bug in your version of gnatsweb, once you apply
the patch, you should be able to find out the real reason behind
the create failure.

Hope this helps...if this problem exists in the latest gnatsweb
version, we should definitely apply this to the official
gnatsweb release.

--
Mel Hatzis
Juniper Networks, Inc.

This is applied in the submitnewpr sub...since I don't have the
latest gnatsweb release readily available, you can just search
through to where the 'client_cmd("$text\n.");' line is and check
out whether another call to get_reply is made.

  client_cmd ("subm");
  client_cmd("$text\n.");
+  # the first reply on a submit is the 'gnats locked' message
+  # so we need to read again to get the reply from the actual submit
+  get_reply();

  my $return_url = $q->param('return_url') || get_script_name();
  my $refresh = 5;