Re: Newbie needs help

From: Duane Winner
Subject: Re: Newbie needs help
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2007 16:16:42 -0500

Chad Walstrom wrote:
 > Try running 'send-pr -P'.  This should generate a template against the
> server specified in GNATSDB.  For example, if you run it against
>
> GNATSDB=gnats.wookimus.net:1529:gnats:guest:guest
>
> you should receive these categories:
>
> SEND-PR: Choose from the following categories:
> SEND-PR:
> SEND-PR: pending  spam     gnats    tkgnats  gnatsweb misc

Hmmm...I was starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my install:

$ GNATSDB=gnats.wookimus.net:1529:gnats:guest:guest; export GNATSDB
$ send-pr -P

<snip>
SEND-PR: advocacy  alpha     amd64     bin       conf      docs
SEND-PR: gnu       i386      ia64      java      kern      misc
SEND-PR: ports     powerpc   sparc64   standards sun4v     threads
SEND-PR: usb       www
SEND-PR:
To: address@hidden
From: Duane Winner <dwinner>
<snip>

> Since send-pr is a shell script, you can always run it as "/bin/sh -x
> PATHTO/send-pr -P" to see what's happening.

You gave me the clue I needed with this command.

Problem was that I didn't realize that FreeBSD includes send-pr as part
of it's normal install to /usr/bin to facilitate sending reports the
FreeBSD.org, and the /usr/bin/send-pr has these categories and
everything else coded in.

When you install the gnat port, there is another send-pr that gets
installed to /usr/local/bin -- and that is the one I wanted, but
/usr/bin takes precedence over /usr/local/bin, so I kept getting the
wrong one.

Spun my wheels the better part of a day because of that.

Thanks for the help!

- -DW