Re: Toggle appointment notification

From: pietru
Subject: Re: Toggle appointment notification
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 05:06:22 +0100

> Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2020 at 4:23 AM
> From: "Emanuel Berg via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor"
> <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Toggle appointment notification
>
> pietru wrote:
>
> > Correct, that's the best plan. Playing with mode line in
> > coordination with agenda, calendar, and diary is difficult.
> > You got to re-code almost everything if you are very picky.
>
> Gnus has a variable to format the mode line, it is
> `gnus-group-mode-line-format'. If more major modes had that, the
> main variable `mode-line-format' wouldn't get so ugly...
>
> But it is only ugly when looking at the code. Then it works
> great. The code itself isn't particularly tricky, either, it is
> just ugly with all the branching and references to all the
> different modes...
>
> >> May I ask for what kind of stuff you are going to use diary
> >> and appointments? I ask because I am developing enhancements
> >> for these things and am curious how much other people's usage
> >> would profit from it.
> >
> > Will it be part of official emacs?
>
> It will be part of diary and appointments. I'm not a user of
> either but it seems diary is built-in, so yes, any improvements
> to that will be part of core Emacs. appointments I cannot find
> in either core Emacs or by searching the [M]ELPAs, but whatever
> it is and wherever you found it, rest assured, that's were the
> improvements will go :)

We would be glad to help if we can report it is Official Gnu Software.
Work is focused on Field Archaeology through surveys and excavations.

Because, the work is outdoors, we have to coordinate set times for
field meetings, schedule locations and operational times for excavations,
transfer of finds, and so on.  Things move on quite rapidly.  Some of us
use small laptops so the capability to have compact window format would
be of great benefit.

Pietru Caxaro
Appia Antica Project
Rome. Italy.