Re: lamers on IRC

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: lamers on IRC
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 13:13:38 +0300

In my opinion, Emacs should have direct access to its social
networks. Here are some alternatives to communicate with other Emacs
users.

IRC
━━━

IRC is good as Emacs has direct access to it with its irc and erc
packages and maybe others.

XMPP
━━━━

XMPP | The universal messaging standard
https://xmpp.org/

XMPP chat has channels and there are Emacs related channels, with no
so many people, again there will be few dominating people from IRC
hanging on XMPP as well. Emacs package jabber.el is good to acess
XMPP.

jabber.el
http://emacs-jabber.sourceforge.net/

EmacsWiki: Jabber El
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/JabberEl

XMPP chat rooms are here:
"emacs" - search.jabber.network
https://search.jabber.network/search?q=emacs

Telegram
━━━━━━━━

There is Telegram group https://t.me/emacs_en with 845 people inside,
accessible through free software "Telegram Desktop", even though it
accesses centralized network, it is similar in a way to IRC.

There is Telega, Emacs client to Telegram:
Website: https://github.com/zevlg/telega.el

Another Telegram group with 267 members: https://t.me/emacstalk

Fediverse
━━━━━━━━━

Client for Emacs to access Fediverse:

martianh/mastodon.el: Emacs client for Mastodon - mastodon.el - Codeberg.org
https://codeberg.org/martianh/mastodon.el

And I guess it will probably work with Pleroma too, not only Mastodon,
as Pleroma has the same API.

Matrix
━━━━━━━

matrix-client.el | Matrix.org
https://matrix.org/docs/projects/client/matrix-client-el

inside of Matrix chat there are few channels related to Emacs with few
thousands of users.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns