Re: lamers on IRC

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: lamers on IRC
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 08:26:01 +0300

* Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> [2022-05-24 00:44]:
> Jean Louis wrote:
>
> >> One problem with IRC is the presence of lamers, luckily
> >> this problem can be solved easily with technology starting
> >> with the IRC client. Today I learned how to do this with my
> >> client, ERC:
> >
> > Emacs channel for years has no moderators who moderate by
> > common sense and police the channel for good behavior, there
> > are no special rules, and those policies displayed like to
> > avoid discrimination and asshatery will be quickly broken by
> > those few dominating over larger group of people there [...]
>
> But actually I think that's good, you just configure your own
> clients do do that for you.
>
> I.e., everyone has or can have his own rules, but no one is
> forced to live by everyone's rules.

It is actually wrong, as by IRC nature when single user (A) blocks
somebody, only single user does not see what that somebody does, all
other people do see, and they may not even have idea that you do not
see, let us say harassment of user (A) -- behavior is exposed to
public hanging on such channel, as public learns by example and it
attracts more of narcissistic people to join in, and scares people who
behave well.

When there is moderator with common sense, then such moderator does
not impede the exchange of opinions, but personal attacks, illegal
and bad behavior. Then the public learns by example and behaves well.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman