Re: lamers on IRC

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: lamers on IRC
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2022 02:13:05 +0200

> They call the architecture with many servers a federation
> but
> it's the same as the Usenet one, see these images
>
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/pimgs/comp/net-arch.png
>   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/pimgs/comp/usenet.png
>
> So while in theory it is total P2P in practice it is
> client-server only there are many servers that themselves
> share information, or temporarily acts as clients if you
> will.
>
> It's the old redundance and propagation scheme all
> over.
>
> So then the Fediverse (a concept) is the whole set based on
> this network idea, and the Mastodon "instances" (servers)
> that offer a FOSS Facebook/Twitter-ish service is just one
> service of many possible, albeit one that has been realized.

I got a private mail from a clever little individual, it says

  Fediverse is really a federated network on which some
  services are built, like Mastodon (which has replacement
  implementations like pixelfed, pleroma or honk).

  There is peertube as a youtube equivalent, I know there is
  also an alternative to that proprietary network
  with pictures.

  It's possible to exchange information between the services
  with various results. From my experience, a peertube video
  release can be published on mastodon from peertube, comments
  done on the video will appear as a thread in mastodon.
  You can follow a peertube account using mastodon.

  I have no idea if the opposite is true, i.e.
  following a mastodon account using a peertube account, that
  doesn't make sense I think.

No, I don't think it does! :)

--
underground experts united