Re: lamers on IRC

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: lamers on IRC
Date: Mon, 30 May 2022 01:52:15 +0200

Thomas Lord wrote:

>>> My initial encounter with net news did not involve ISPs or
>>> the IP protocol. It was company X's computers running
>>> a cron script to dial up and log in to computers at
>>> company Y. (Some others at the same time were already
>>> peering over the Arpanet.)
>>
>> So how did that happen if not the Internet, telephone line
>> and UUCP?
>
> UUCP was used over landlines, with fast (for the day)
> modems. For connecting systems that are physically close
> (like, same machine room), the modem and telephone wires
> could be omitted to use just rs232 lines directly.

  In telecommunications, RS-232 or Recommended Standard 232 is
  a standard originally introduced in 1960 for serial
  communication transmission of data. It formally defines
  signals connecting between a DTE (data terminal equipment)
  such as a computer terminal, and a DCE (data
  circuit-terminating equipment or data communication
  equipment), such as a modem.
  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RS-232>

Hm ... :)

> That's why I say, today, to build a P2P social network it
> would be sensible to start with something like (perhaps
> exactly like) rsync(1) and handle live chat and
> streaming separately.

I think everyone agrees rsync is great ...

> Not limited to social networks, either. Wouldn't it be
> interesting if, say, wikipedia were (search features
> notwithstanding) just a static set of files you'd cache
> widely using rsync, submitting patches to pages using some
> kind of low-tech distributed, decentralized revision control
> system? So much resiliance. So much non-reliance on any
> specific network technology. Such simplicity. ;-)

Maybe too decentralized for capitalism?

But with the Fediverse you have it, or sort of at least, I'm
not sure you'd like the services they provide or the style in
which it is provided.

I guess I like it fine - so far? But it's very limited ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pldftoUbM80

To stay in the 1960s ...

--
underground experts united