Re: [Help-gnu-radius] SQL Password Storage Format?

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] SQL Password Storage Format?
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 15:21:18 +0300

> I assumed that I could just store the md5 hash of my passwords, but that
> doesn't seem to work. Do you have to prepend {md5} or something like that?

When Auth-Type is set to SQL, the database is assumed to contain usual
MD5 hashed passwords. These are not to be confused with MD5
hashes. The hashed password is:

        '$1$' + SALT + '$' + MD5HASH

where strings enclosed in a pair of quotes appear as they are,
+ denotes concatenation, SALT is the salt value used when generating
hash and MD5HASH is the hash value itself.

If your system is able to keep MD5 encoded passwords in its
passwd/shadow database, you will see the same format used there.

Regards,
Sergey