Re: [Help-gnu-radius] sql accounting problems

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] sql accounting problems
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 12:23:18 +0300

> I see in details, that radius recieves all start and stop packets, but the
> interval between them is rather small (sometimes less then 100 msec).
> The problem is that sql makes update on a table earlier then insert, and so
> it updates nothing.

Yes, this race condition is known (see postings from Lai Zit Seng on
[Fri, 18 Jan 2002 00:35:44 +0800 (SGT)] and from Sergey Poznyakoff on
[Thu, 17 Jan 2002 18:47:49 +0200]). The reason is that each request
is served by a separate process which feeds it to SQL server. If the
SQL server handles UPDATE request faster than INSERT, it may finish
the former before the latter.

> Can I somehow make radius put all queries in FIFO exactly in order
> it recieves them?

Currently the only way to force synchronous processing of the requests
is to place `spawn no;' into `acct' clause of your raddb/config, e.g.:

acct {
     spawn no;

Notice however that this may have a negative impact on the performance
of the server.

Regards,
Sergey