Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Reasons for an Accounting-Response to not be loggI

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Reasons for an Accounting-Response to not be loggIn-reply-to: Your message of Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:37:36 -0600 (CST) <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 01:33:57 +0200

> I've included it all, as I'm afraid I'm not entirely positive of what you
> do and don't need:

OK, here it goes:

> Feb 21 17:30:36: Main.debug: radius.c:367:radrecv: Request from host 41a7b303
> code=1, id=10, length=187

That's an authentication request (code=1) coming from 65.167.179.3
with request id 10 and total request length 187.

(All accounting requests will have code=4. You may just grep the log
for this string).

> Feb 21 17:30:36: Main.debug: radius.c:457:radrecv: recv: NAS-IP-Address =
> 66.0.66.8
[..snip..]

These are the attributes received along with the request. (By the way,
notice that the reported IP does not coincide with the real one. I
don't know if it's intended, just for your information anyway...)

> Feb 21 17:30:36: Auth.debug: radius.c:113:rad_send_reply: Sending Ack of id
> 10 to 41a7b303 (nas some.nas)

The request has been acknowleged.

> Feb 21 17:30:36: Auth.debug: radius.c:122:rad_send_reply: reply: Service-Type
> = Framed-User
[..snip..]

These are the attributes sent over to the NAS.

> Well I hope the above is at all enlightening... But I see nothing

Hmm, in a way... It only shows a normal processing of an
authentication request.

> obvious... Again, I could say "The NAS just doesn't send Accounting
> requests, how stupid" - but it sent one through this morning...

You would have experienced the similar symptoms if the NAS was
configured to send accounting records to several radius servers and
your server were in the list of backup ones. In this case your server
would have received accounting requests only if the main server had failed
to respond.

Can you check the configuration of the NAS?

Regards,
Sergey