Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Password on a MySQL Server

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] Password on a MySQL Server
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:48:28 +0200

Hello Mario,

I've missed quite a few of your questions, so I'll try to answer all of
them at once.

The most important one, to begin with:

> And all I get is:
> Auth.notice: Login Incorrect [user/pass nvalid chars] ...
> Like the password shown in the notice is not in cleartext...

This means the server and the NAS are configured to use different
shared keys. The shared key value must be the same on both sides.
On the server side it is set in raddb/clients file.
Please refer to the documentation for your NAS for the information on
how it is set on the NAS side.

> I realized that the passwords stored on a mysql server must be
> encrypted. Does it realy need to be encrypted? could it be in
> cleartext/plaintext ?

You can store the passwords in plaintext. To do so, you will have to
use the following authentication attributes in your raddb/users:

    Auth-Type = Local,
              Password-Location = SQL

> how I encrypt the password before storing it ?

Use ENCRYPT() function.

Regards,
Sergey