Re: [Help-gnu-radius] warning message in log

From: Sergey Poznyakoff
Subject: Re: [Help-gnu-radius] warning message in log
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 13:01:15 +0200

Hi,

> I understand that I should write an appropriate raddb/naslist
> like this.
> -------------
> XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX RAD_CLIENT_A true
[...]

Yes, that's right.

> But, I'm not sure that the "true" is correct at my clients.
> How do I get the correct 3rd parameters ?
> (The clients are the Spring Tide's Virtual routers for PPPoE.)

The 3rd parameter is used when radius has to check whether a session
is still active on the NAS, in the other words, to check whether or
not a particular user is connected to the given NAS. This parameter
serves as a link to raddb/nastypes table which actually defines the
methods for querying NASes. Several types are already included in
the shipped raddb/naslist (namely, finger and SNMP querying for
the most common NAS types), however if your NAS does not match any
of them you will have to define your own types.

The two special types 'true' and 'false' disable NAS querying. The
'true' type forces radius to assume that the information it keeps
in radutmp is always correct. The 'false' type forces it to assume
that this information is always incorrect.

For more information about the issue, please refer to
http://www.gnu.org/software/radius/manual/html_chapter/radius_10.html#SEC88

> And, I think that the "DEFAULT" line abandons unknown client's IP
> information.

Well, not quite so. The DEFAULT line does not effect the way the
requests are processed. It informs radiusd that there may be more
NASes that are listed in raddb/naslist. It is useful when you have
lots of clients and for some reasons it is impossible to list them
all in your naslist.

Regards,
Sergey