Re: Should I upgrade root user's guix too?

From: Oleg Pykhalov
Subject: Re: Should I upgrade root user's guix too?
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 03:38:47 +0300

Hello Attic,

Attic Hermit <address@hidden> writes:

>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> GUIX_LATEST=/root/.config/guix/latest
>>> unlink $GUIX_LATEST && ln -s $(readlink $HOME/.config/guix/latest)
>>> $GUIX_LATEST
>
> To be sure your tip, I read the part of source code of guix pull and try
> to understand what it really do:
> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/tree/guix/scripts/pull.scm
>
> and it seems that it only builds latest guix and make a symlink to
> ~/.config/guix/latest. Is that all? I'm little nervous that if I've
> missed something. If it is correct, then I can use your tip without
> doubt.

I got this idea after reading ‘(guix) Invoking guix pull’.

    (1) Under the hood, ‘guix pull’ updates the ‘~/.config/guix/latest’
    symbolic link to point to the latest Guix, and the ‘guix’ command
    loads code from there.  Currently, the only way to roll back an
    invocation of ‘guix pull’ is to manually update this symlink to
    point to the previous Guix.

Some folks just do ‘/root/.config/guix/latest -> ~/.config/guix/latest’
symlink.  But I like to have a script which I could run manually as
needed.