Re: No dvorak in window manager

From: Luther Thompson
Subject: Re: No dvorak in window manager
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 00:56:59 -0400

On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 9:25 AM, Joshua Branson <address@hidden> wrote:
> Luther Thompson <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I installed GuixSD today. When I boot up, both the login manager and
>> the desktop session use qwerty. I do see dvorak when I hit Ctrl+Alt+F2
>> for a non-window console. `loadkeys dvorak` has no effect in either
>> place. Here is my OS definition:
>>

> I've had a similar problem.  I know that there are a couple of solutions
> floating around.  I think one of them my be using setxkbmap...Or
> possibly configuring X to prefer the dvorak layout...
>
> I personally never figured that issue out.  Right now I'm running
> Parabola GNU/Linux-libre, and I've got guix installed on it...

Update: I decided to check the latest git master commit to see if the
docs had changed. I found some
​thing about controlling ​the keyboard
layout, and I found more examples in the guix-help archives. This is
​the 'services' ​field that I ended up using:

(services (cons* (console-keymap-service "dvorak")
 (gnome-desktop-service)
                 (xfce-desktop-service)
                 (modify-services %desktop-services
    (slim-service-type config =>
                         (slim-configuration

​ ​
(inherit config)

​ ​
(​
startx (xorg-start-command

​ ​
#:configuration-file

​ ​
(xorg-configuration-file

​ ​
#:extra-config
'("Section \"InputClass\"
        Identifier \"keyboard-all\"
        Option \"XkbLayout\" \"dvorak\"
        MatchIsKeyboard \"on\"
EndSection")))))))))

​This successfully fixed the problem in the ​login manager. (GNOME, of
course, had to be configured separately.)

--
Luther Thompson