Re: Ever-growing store with --gc-keep-outputs?

From: swedebugia
Subject: Re: Ever-growing store with --gc-keep-outputs?
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2018 17:47:47 +0100

Hi

On 2018-11-09 11:58, Pierre Neidhardt wrote:
: > When I want to free up some disk space, I do the following steps:
: >
: > (1) update my user profiles and delete old generations
: > (2) delete older generations in /var/guix/profiles (but always
: >      keeping the one referenced by /run/booted-system!)
: > (3) reconfigure the system to remove the old system profiles from
: >      grub.cfg
: > (4) guix gc
: This would be nice to have in the manual I think.

Would you like to propose a patch?
Note that for a while Guix now suggest (1) and (4) when the store is low on
space.

I like interactive help, I think it reaches a wider audience than just the
manual.
Having both is also great, at the expense of risking inconsistencies if one is
updated but not the other.
Thanks for the heads up! I totally agree. Guix is way too silent to my taste, comparing with e.g. pacman and git.

Generally I see the documentation in a manual as something complementing the program - not an excuse to keep the error messages very terse and refrain from gently nudging the user in the right direction.

--
Cheers
Swedebugia