Re: Proposal to remove the off-topic, not free software related thoughtc

From: Kete
Subject: Re: Proposal to remove the off-topic, not free software related thoughtcrime accusations from the Guix project pages on GNU.ORG websitew
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 09:05:06 -0400

On 10/12/2019 05:19 AM, Jean Louis wrote:
> https://geoff.greer.fm/2019/09/30/in-defense-of-richard-stallman
"In short: Stallman made some technically-correct-but-utterly-tactless
comments...."

Here are the comments:

    “deceased AI ‘pioneer’ Marvin Minsky (who is accused of assaulting
    one of Epstein’s victims [2])”

    The injustice is in the word “assaulting”. The term “sexual assault”
    is so vague....

    The word “assaulting” presumes that he applied force or violence, in
    some unspecified way, but the article itself says no such thing.
    Only that they had sex.

    We can imagine many scenarios, but the most plausible scenario is that
    she presented herself to him as entirely willing. Assuming she was
    being coerced by Epstein, he would have had every reason to tell her
    to conceal that from most of his associates.

    I’ve concluded from various examples of accusation inflation that it
    is absolutely wrong to use the term “sexual assault” in an accusation.

I'm unhappy to see dozens if not hundreds of emails and blog posts that
regurgitate Stallman's exact argument, "taking claims that someone did X
and leading people to think of it as Y, which is much worse than X." If
all of this Stallman logic produces such braindead puppetry, then it is
indeed time for new leaders, people who will embrace critical thought.
Besides, there is no way these men are getting these transactions
without assault or coercion taking place. Just because Epstein mediated
that force so that the clients didn't have to get their hands dirty is
no reason to make a stink over how preying on defenseless people in a
peaceful manner is not violence. There is no way they could do that
without someone doing the violence for them. The money cleans that from
their conscience, but they are still involved with the abuse because it
is part of the service that they buy.

--
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/