Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”
Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2019 12:02:51 +0200

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 12:36:01PM -0400, Thompson, David wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 6:57 AM Ludovic Courtès <address@hidden> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hello Guix!
>> >
>> > Here’s a new blog post by Pierre Neidhardt entitled “Guix Profiles in
>> > Practice”:
>> >
>> >   https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2019/guix-profiles-in-practice/
>> >
>> > A great discussion on the benefits of manifests and on ways to manage
>> > several profiles!
>>
>> Great article!
>
> I agree. One useful thing not mentioned in there is, that before
>
>   env -i /bin/bash --login --noprofile --norc
>
>   . ~/opt/my-tools-profile/etc/profile
>
> so no existing shell variables may pollute your beautiful setup.

Nice tip, Pjotr!

We can add it to the cookbook.  Shall I add it to the blog article now
that it's published?

In https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-10/msg00565.html
we discussed the possibility to remove a specific profile from the
environment, which would be a more general version of what you propose.
It currently has some shortcomings, but maybe we can fix them.

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/