Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”

From: Pierre Neidhardt
Subject: Re: “Guix Profiles in Practice”
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2019 12:30:25 +0100

Pjotr Prins <address@hidden> writes:

>> We can add it to the cookbook.  Shall I add it to the blog article now
>> that it's published?
>
> Why not?

Depends how we look at the "Guix blog": shall we guarantee the content
of the articles to remain the same (beside typos) or shall we update
them as new ideas and other changes pop up?

The latter option has higher maintenance costs, plus we would need a way
to tell the reader when the article was first created, last edited, and
a link to the history of changes.

For the cookbook we've got all that with Git.

> Pierre, we have the minimalistic and emerging languages devroom at
> FOSDEM this year. I am thinking we could do a talk about using Guix as
> a development environment. I mean profiles are great for development -
> I use them all the time, including guix environment -C. That could be
> a talk.

You offering me to give a talk on this?  Why not, we can talk about it :)

> Another talk could be about programming Guix from the REPL. Guix as a
> DSL if you will. Anyone interested in doing a talk about that?

I would be very interested if someone could explain how they hack with
Geiser: I'm still frustrated with it on a daily basis :p I'm in
particular interested in debugging.  Regarding Guix-specific debugging,
I wonder how Guix developers debug staged code (i.e. when errors happen
for code executed by the daemon).

> BTW I am also starting to use rash - the racket shell and we have
> gash. Anyone want to talk about that? We should invite the authors.

Just watched the video: https://rash-lang.org/
It's amazing!
Now all we need is an Emacs (or https://github.com/soegaard/remacs?)
integration...