Re: Using an alternative python to build python modules

From: Edouard Klein
Subject: Re: Using an alternative python to build python modules
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2023 18:53:18 +0100

As an example in this line of thought, a long time ago I submitted a
patch (since then reverted as it broke a lot of things) to use an
obsolete version of a python module, which was the only one that worked
with a specific module that hadn't updated its dependencies:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?id=32ba87c14fd5e5b54d95211cd9a159d568ce7c67

Look at the following lines:

#+begin_src scheme
(define-public prompt-toolkit-2-instead-of-prompt-toolkit
  (package-input-rewriting/spec
   `(("python-prompt-toolkit" . ,(const python-prompt-toolkit-2)))))
#+end_src

If instead of replacing "python-prompt-toolkit" with
python-prompt-toolkit-2, you could replace "python" with the version of
python you want to use, package-input-rewriting would then handle the
work of changing the python package anywhere it appears in any
dependency of your manifest.

You can then end your manifest with
(python-3.6-instead-of-python python-apted)

Cheers,

Edouard.