Re: First-time install problems [FIXED]

From: coriordan
Subject: Re: First-time install problems [FIXED]
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 15:10:49 +0000

> > I can't access my CDROM drive.
>
> I think you are looking for
>
>   'cd /dev;./MAKEDEV -v hd2'
>
> Your boot log should show it

Thanks, my boot log said hd1 and now I can
access my CDROM drive (I cam home for lunch to try it).

I now have emacs, guile, gcc, gdb installed.

> You may have to initiate a /dev/klog to see that by doing the
> following.
>
> settrans -fgc /dev/klog /hurd/streamio kmsg
>
> cat /dev/klog > $CONSOLE_LOG &
> CAT=$!; sleep 5; kill $CAT

This didn't work for me, I kept getting
-bash: !: event not found

no worries, I don't need it now anyway.

> I  have  this problem with the  default  mount binary. I  found if you
> build it w/o optimization it doesn't hang, or if you are mounting :-)

Ok, I'll make 'mount' the first package I try building.

Thanks for helping me get my system working.

Ciaran O'Riordan