Re: remote debugging stubs (neighbourhurds)

From: Greg Buchholz
Subject: Re: remote debugging stubs (neighbourhurds)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 19:50:05 +0100 (BST)

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> The way you'd normally do that is using the "boot" command and booting a
> second Hurd system in parallel to the first one.  Then you can attach gdb to
> the processes inside the second Hurd.

        I tried the "boot" command, but my setup didn't fail in the same
way that an actual boot does.  But the more I think about it, maybe
"boot" doesn't work in the way that I initially thought.  Here's what I
tried...

#boot -D/cdrom servers.boot /dev/hd2

...which resulted in a couple/three of lines of output...

/hurd/iso9660fs.statis --multi-boot-command yada,yada,yada
/hurd/ld.so.1 /hurd/exec
bye

...which is not the output I get when I just boot the CD.  But now I'm
thinking that maybe the subHurd doesn't have a console to display on, so
any messages end up in the equivalent of /dev/null.  Is that correct?
What should a person expect to see when booting a subHurd?  I read the
following article about subhurds...

http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/howto/subhurd.html

...Is there any other documentation about neighbourhurds available?

        I'll try the "boot" command again, but this time I'll actually try
to attach gdb.

Thanks,

Greg Buchholz