help-libidn

Re: libidn2 tr#46 support

From: Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos
Subject: Re: libidn2 tr#46 support
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 10:50:48 +0100

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Tim Ruehsen <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > Today I rewrote IDN code for wget (libidn) to use libidn2 + libunistring.
>> > But that makes sense in the long term only if TR#46 is in sight.
>>
>> What APIs in libunistring do you need?  NFC?  libidn2 uses libunistring
>> (from gnulib) internally, so if there is some simple API that would be
>> useful to export, to avoid having to link with libunistring as well, I'm
>> happy to add export it from libidn2.
> At least here the GNU linker is clever enough to link libunistring just one
> time (checked with ldd).

Note that libunistring (as a lib or over gnulib) is under LPGLv3,
while libidn2 is under LGPLv3/GPLv2. I have notified Bruno and Daiki
about that issue.

> What I need and already do via libunistring API is lowercasing and NFC/NFCK
> (not 100% sure which one to use).
> I think adding two flags to the idn2 API should do it.
> Shouldn't TR#46 be mandatory ? If not, another flag would do it.
>> The idea is that libidn2 should be a usable IDNA2008 library, and that
>> probably involves exposing NFC and TR46 APIs as well.
> Hiding libunistring details is IMO a good idea here.

I'd love that too. That would make migration from libidn to libidn2
significantly easier.

Something else quite related as all authors are in CC... does it make
sense to combine libidn2 functionality with libunistring?

regards,
Nikos