help-libidn

Re: libidn2 tr#46 support

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: libidn2 tr#46 support
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 09:11:35 +0100

Bruno Haible <address@hidden> writes:

> Nikos Mavrogiannopoulos asks:
>> Something else quite related as all authors are in CC... does it make
>> sense to combine libidn2 functionality with libunistring?
>
> You mean, introduce functions similar to
> https://www.gnu.org/software/libidn/libidn2/reference/libidn2-idn2.html
> into libunistring?
>
> libunistring is for applications that want to do Unicode text processing.
> libidn2 is for applications that want to connect to web sites.
>
> The recipe for success for GNU libraries is: "Do one thing, and do it right."
>
> There are various other standards that make use of Unicode (such as:
> XML, JSON [RFC 7159], RFC 7564, RFC 7700, RFC 7940), and their number will
> be growing over time. I don't believe these facilities all belong in a
> single library, libunistring.

I tend to agree, but I'm not married to any particular solution.

One thing that would be really useful, though, would be to have a
Unicode TR46 implementation.  Do you think that belong to libunistring?
Would you like to collaborate on creating a TR46 implementation?  I
don't think TR46 is useful for anyone not doing IDNA2008, which argues
for it belonging to libidn2.  However, it is a Unicode standard, so
maybe it make some sense to have it in libunistring.  It is quite
different from the rest of Unicode standards though, but it is widely
implemented.

/Simon